I have two graduate degrees, a Masters in Social Work (MSW) and a Masters of Fine Arts (MFA) in writing, with professional experience in both areas. From 2003 to 2014, I have writing and literature to undergraduates at Spalding University in Louisville, Kentucky and have served as a writing coach to MSW students at Spalding. For the past two-and-a-half years, I have worked with professors and PhD students on academic manuscripts and have led many creative writing workshops at my studio at Mellwood.
Unique Skill Set
My education and professional experiences interact to create a unique skill set:
- I am interested in diverse life experiences and work well with groups.
- I am comfortable in the classroom and with small groups.
- My knowledge of the writing craft is literature-based.
- I see writing as a powerful tool to express opinion, increase self-awareness, and preserve precious stories.
Awards & Writing Experience
- I have received five awards from the Metro Louisville Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, for profile, essay, and food writing.
- I have been a freelance journalist since 2000, and have published articles in academic journals.
- I submit regularly to literary journals and receive more “rejections” than acceptances ( a normal hazard of the writing life). I now call these “regrets.”
- I love to read my work aloud! I read frequently at local reading series.
- One of my most pleasurable writing assignments was radio commentary for WFPL, Louisville’s NPR affiliate.